"I call them my little butterflies. They flew in just long enough to steal a part of my heart, and then flew away to Heaven."

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Butterfly Memories

Having wonderful friends who think of brilliant ideas is a wonderful thing to have in life!  My dear friend Marianne contacted me a few days ago.  She recalled reading a comment my mother had made after we lost our Morgan and Meghan. 

My mom's comment....

"I call them my little butterflies. They flew in just long enough to steal a part of my heart, and then flew away to Heaven."

Marianne suggested that as part of each Angel Baby Ensemble created and donated, we should include a crocheted butterfly as a gift for the mother of these precious tiny ones.  This simple gift will be something she can hold close, or even pin next to her heart....hopefully, something to bring a touch of comfort to her as she grieves the loss of her little one.

Free crochet patterns for butterflies can be found by the hundreds online, simple ones and complex ones.  I took ideas from numerous patterns and came up with this extremely simple one that can be finished in 10 minutes or less.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to pin a butterfly to each card included in the individual Angel Ensemble packages for the NICU nurses to share with the parents.


Directions.....

Round 1:  Chain 6, sl st in 6th ch from hook to form ring.  Chain 3 (counts as first dc).  Inside of ring work 2 dc, chain 2 *3 dc, chain 2.  Repeat from * 6 more times. 
Join with sl st in top of first dc (beginning chain).    Chain 3, turn to work in opposite direction on next round.

Round 2:  (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next chain 2 space. *(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in each remaining chain 2 space.  Join with sl st in top of beginning chain 3. Do not chain or turn.

Round 3:  Sl st in next 2 dc, sl st in next ch 2 sp.  Ch 3, 9 dc in same sp. * SC in next open space, 10 dc in next ch 2 sp.  Repeat from * around.  Join with sl st in top of beginning chain 3. 


Fasten off but leave an extra long length of yarn to use when sewing butterfly together and attaching antennae.

Antennae:

Make a chain the length you'd like the antennae (I did 10 chains)...the chain will be folded in half to create the antennae. Fasten off. I tied an extra knot on both ends of my "chain".



Fold motif in half to create butterfly....

Use the long piece of yarn to sew your butterfly together along the center.

With the remaining long piece of yarn, sew your antennae in the center of the beginning circle.

Whenever possible, wouldn't it be nice to make the butterfly in the same yarn used to make the hat and booties?

Do you have ideas to share?  Please do!!!

By the way...if you find any errors in these directions...PLEASE let me know so it can be corrected.  I'm known to make mistakes! :)

Blessings,
Theresa (Grandma)

No comments:

Post a Comment